[lbo-talk] NYT poll: Youth support war & Bush more than their elders

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Apr 19 16:02:26 PDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> [Interestingly, it seems this was also true during Vietnam. That seems a
>> little brain bending.]
>
> A blast from the past...from a NYT editorial, January 5, 1968: "At the
> Florida [AFL-CIO] convention union officials who dissented from
> Administration policy were accused by George Meany of having plotted their
> strategy in Hanoi."

Right, but that fits in with the conventional idea of more pro-war elders vs. more anti-war youth.

All the commentary on this so far seems to be addressed to other questions. (e.g. whether anti-war sentiment, as measured by polls, was always a minority of the population as a whole; and whether anti-war views varied with graduate and post-graduate degress, held by a minority of the population, most of them over 30.)

I dunno. My impression was that everyone who was there at the time thought that a distinct youth culture existed something, and that it had norms, and those norms were anti-war. The New Right avatars in all their autobiographies whine like chainsaws about how they were a minority of a minority. Can everyone in a culture, including the deviants, misperceive what their own defining norms are? That seems to contradict the concepts both of culture and of norms.

Michael