[lbo-talk] NYT poll: Youth support war & Bush more than theirelders

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Apr 19 17:58:21 PDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I was one of those who was there -- and we were in a minority. Among
> youth! Only a minority opposed the war.

Carrol, I'm certainly willing to accept that in any strong sense of being against the war -- i.e., willingness to do anything, never mind sacrifice anything -- there was only ever a minority.

But that's not what we're talking about here. I'm perfectly willing to stipuate to what you said in your first post, the polls only measure weakest kind of opposition or support, the kind that demands nothing from you personally. But that's what we're talking about -- the kind of weak support that polls measure. And you can't say that was a minority in the country as a whole. It was eventually a majority then and it's a majority now. That's not to dispute. The polls results are a matter of record.

So the question here is within that universe of poll measured support, youth in general seems to be much more pro-war than their elders. Are you saying that makes sense to you? That you've always noticed that youth tend to be more establishment supporting, old people tend more toward dissent? By large margins? And that it was true in the 1960s, that people under 30 were relatively more supportive of the war, by large margins, than people over 50?

Michael