[lbo-talk] IWW piece on Iranian labor situation

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 20 12:05:44 PDT 2007

> I understand that the trope of evil imperialism is as embedded
in the consciousness of the left as the trope of evil communism is embedded in the consciousness of the right. Renouncing these tropes would be very uncomfortable to many, indeed.

But it is not a trope. It is an historical fact. Read KING LEOPOLD'S GHOST by Adam Hochschild for one example.

> Of course I realize that this will make many people very
uncomfortable, because it will question their fundamental article of faith.

Again, it is an article of fact. Colonial practices caused the deaths of millions.

> So if you are comfortable with mulling grievances and piling the
laundry list of atrocities - that is fine with me - many others do it is as well, so I cannot say that the lefties are any different.

Chronicling the murderous depradations of colonialism is not the equivalent of "mulling grievances."

> However, I am not buying this trope - just as I am not buying
religion or anti-communism.

And your faith in the regenerative and beneficial good of colonialism is touching, but totally dependent on your value system.

Brian