[lbo-talk] Defend SDS From Attack

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:00:21 PDT 2007

This morning, Students for a Democratic Society organizers at the College of William and Mary were told by university administrators that their permit for the Mideast Convention, which begins today, had been revoked.

Please call (757-221-1693) and e-mail (gnichol at wm.edu) College President Gene Nichol to demand that he denounce this attack on civil liberties, reinstate the permit, and support students' rights to assemble, speak and organize.

If he or anyone else in his office mentions the Virginia Tech shooting, tell them that exploiting an attack on students' lives to enable an attack on their freedoms is despicable, and that they should be ashamed of themselves.

Please forward and post this notice in all appropriate venues. For more information on the Mideast Conference, see the SDS Organizer (http://tinyurl.com/2sq5lq) or Facebook (registration required: http://tinyurl.com/2sp8zr).

Joseph Catron, '05

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Thomas Silverstein <thom.silverstein at gmail.com> Date: Apr 20, 2007 11:47 AM Subject: [tlsc-l] Urgent: An Attack on Students' Civil Liberties - Protest in the Campus Center 1:30 P.M. Today To: ssdp at wm.edu, tlsc-l at wm.edu, meridian_l at wm.edu

Hello,

Apparently, Mark Constantine has issued some sort of a reversal that will effectively prohibit SDS from building Free Town on the Sunken Garden today. There will be a protest at 1:30 P.M. today outside of his office on the second floor of the Campus Center to confront him over this shift. No matter what y'all think of SDS or of Free Town, this is an unwarranted abdridgement of our civil liberties. The Sunken Garden is ours, and the right to peaceful assembly is ours, too. If you have the time (which, unfortunately, I do not, as I will be in class at the time.), please make an effort to come out.

Thanks,

Thom