[lbo-talk] gender & work time

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Fri Apr 20 18:27:08 PDT 2007

At 01:33 PM 4/20/2007, Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Apr 19, 2007, at 8:06 PM, bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:
>
> > in the lit on the topic, it's well-known that there's a disparity
> > between
> > self-reports, like this study, and observation. That is, men say
> > they do X
> > hours of work, their wives report that their partners do X hours of
> > work,
> > and then through third party observations and diary studies
>
>This is based on time-diaries, not self-reports:
>
><http://www.nber.org/papers/w13000>

correct me if i'm wrong, but a time diary is kept by the respondent, not by another person. if so, it's a self-report. it is considered better than questions asked about someone's estimate of how much time they spent, since they're supposed to fill it out as they do the work. Depends on the methodology and I didn't pay for the paper, so I don't know the intervals. The problem with it is that it's sometimes kept for only a day or two, which doesn't necessarily give anyone an accurate look. others are asked to keep the diary at short intervals 2 or more times a month for a better sense of how people spend their time. moreover, the data isn't as generalizable as survey methods but again I didn't get a peek at the paper to see their checks on their methods.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)