[lbo-talk] climate change: China's contribution

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 04:59:25 PDT 2007

> China's development strategy suggests that little will change in the
> foreseeable future. With plans on the books to urbanize half the
> Chinese population by 2020, energy consumption will soar. City
> residents in China use 250 percent more power than their rural
> counterparts. And China's love affair with the private car is set to
> rival that of the United States. A conservative estimate by the Asian
> Development Bank predicts that the number of cars in China could
> increase by fifteen times present levels over the next thirty years,
> more than tripling CO2 emissions.

Has anybody looked into how CO2 emissions in China break down in terms of industry vs. transportation, and how much of that is due to exports?

In short, I'm curious how much CO2 emissions the US effectively exports to China. That may not be a unique situation, but my impression is that the US/Chinese relationship is particularly lopsided in this respect. Is that quantifiably justifiable?

-- Andy