[lbo-talk] Cooler Elites - a story of accommodation to the bourgeoisie

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 06:51:45 PDT 2007

--- Patrick Bond <pbond at mail.ngo.za> wrote:

> Chris Doss wrote:
> > Did the Greenland Norse even HAVE a ruling class?
>
> I dunno, I guess so, all that looting and pillaging
> required some kind
> of hierarchy, no?

To get anywhere worth looting and pillaging from Greenland, you'd have had to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a longboat. My understanding is that they were mostly subsistence farmers, like the Icelanders, but even further away from stuff worth looting.

(How much hierarchy does looting and pillaging require? Mobs do it pretty effectively.)