[lbo-talk] it's ok to kill an unmarried couple walking together

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 06:09:19 PDT 2007

On 4/20/07, Bill Bartlett <billbartlett at aapt.net.au> wrote:
>><http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/21/AR2007012100468.html>
>>Video Shows Egypt Prisoner's Humiliation
>
>I recall seeing the story on a national TV programme recently.

Really? Where was your outrage? Or concern for "a woman seen tortured in a different video and to determine who abused her. She is seen hanging by her legs from a pole balanced between two chairs, screaming in pain and confessing to a murder" (Maggie Michael, "Video Shows Egypt Prisoner's Humiliation," Associated Press, 21 January 2007, <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/21/AR2007012100468.html>).

What's her name? What has happened to her? Is she alive or has she been tortured to death?

Amnesty International says that "Around 18,000 administrative detainees – people held without charge or trial under orders issued by the Interior Ministry – are languishing in Egypt's jails in degrading and inhumane conditions" ("Egypt – Systematic Abuses in the Name of Security," <http://amnesty.org/resources/Egypt1/index.html>), some no doubt tortured like the woman in the video.

> That's
> part of the backward philosophy they represent, if they respected
> the ordinary people of Iran as human beings, they could respect
> people of the west and understand why we despise the filthy primitive
> social system these relics are trying to create in Iran.

Every thinking person in the world knows that, notwithstanding selective outrage against this or that crime outside the West that they display on cue, most people of the West not only do not despise but tolerate, even vote for, a filthy primitive social system that has its soldiers invade many countries, supports brutal client states, employs death squads, etc., raping, mutilating, and killing untold numbers of men, women, and children, not just when they don't know but even when they do know at least a little of that's what's happening, as in the case of the Iraq War. (The same system also locks up millions and executes many at home, in the case of the USA.) The system's most treasured asset is Saudi Arabia, and next to that are Israel and Egypt. Both the system's own actions and its clients and hirelings' say a lot about the Western values. -- Yoshie