[lbo-talk] Rethinking Liberalism

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 07:30:19 PDT 2007

"Few Iranians would think that their country would be better off over all if they traded their government for, say, the government of Brazil, China, Egypt, India, Jordan, Pakistan, South Africa, Turkey, or another country in this league, all of which have their own problems."

Well the few Iranians I have met would appear to be them, then. All say that they would prefer almost anyone to the present regime - though not many favour western intervention. I am all for resisting the temptation to demonise one's government's enemies, but it does not help to lionise them either. My friend Atefah is still coping with the gas-injuries to her lungs, and was very pleased to re-visit Iran under the previous regime, but she's not going back while Ahmedinejad is in power. I tried out the argument that he was being demonised on her - she looked at me as though I was mad.