[lbo-talk] the noble savages of the left: country folk. bah fuckin' humbug (was rethinking liberalism crappola)

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Apr 22 22:41:13 PDT 2007

bitch wrote:

>I've also been working around people who take that kind of income for
>granted. On a whim, for instance, a co-worker bought an iBook the other
>day. It's became really clear to me that, to discuss shopping for bargains,
>or to mention how much the designer handbag costs is declasse. IOW, what's
>become really clear is that you are encouraged to spend and to not balk
>about the price because this would indicate ... what -- I'm not sure.
>perhaps this is peculiar to this workplace, b/c I've never seen anything
>like it -- but then I've never worked in anything like it.

They're just young. Don't have kids and base their identity on what they're able to afford. They might be head over heels in debt for all you know.

The point about designer handbags is that they're absurdly expensive. You're paying for the class insignia.

But yeah; it sucks.

I come under a lot of fire lately because I insist on driving old cars and don't dress up much. I prefer to use my money for the kids education, for vacations, and for early retirement. That means basically no tearing up money over status symbols, making sure that my current employer buys whatever computer they want me to use, etc., getting books from the library when possible,.....boring, boring, boring...

Joanna