[lbo-talk] Modernization, Not Westernization

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 00:40:29 PDT 2007

"The correct path would have been to modernize without equating it with Westernization," says Yoshie, but I am not sure that the example she gives, adoption of the Latin alphabet is necessarily a wrong step. After all Hungarian, which is a turkish language survives quite happily with the latin alphabet, and arabic script is no less alien to the Turkish language. An Ethiopian friend explained to me (can this be right?) that Coptic is written right to left, having originally been the other way around, but influenced by Arab neighbours it was reversed. There is nothing wrong in changing your script if it helps.

As to headscarves I am not sure what it means to dismiss modesty-enforcing dress codes as 'western; but not 'modern'. Are we really saying that equality between the sexes is a western, not a human value?