[lbo-talk] gender pay gap emerges early

jrdavis from_alamut at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 06:18:47 PDT 2007

The real question is if woman's pay is lower than males then why dont capitalists hire only females?

Alot of the differences are found in choices. I make about 40k with my job. Most of my co-workers make significantly less (21K to start) why? I have worked there 12 years building up a salery, and i work over time. Most of my female co-workers refuse overtime and its not pushed here.

jim

Julio Huato <juliohuato at gmail.com> wrote:

Forgot to add that another factor is metro/non-metro status, educational attainment, and income level. So, the gap is largely a white, suburban, educated, middle-and-upper-class women problem. And I don't mean only that the gap in absolute terms is much larger for them than for minorities. That wouldn't be a surprise. What I mean is that in *percent terms*, the gap is *much larger* for white women in those demographic categories. In the northeastern U.S. at least, the gender gap is a luxury that minorities and the poor can't afford. And consider the classist slant in the media, that's probably a reason why it's so much publicized.

Just to prevent misunderstanding, what I say doesn't deny the existence of gender oppression inflicted on white, educated, suburban, otherwise privileged women by their male partners and/or our patriarchal society in general. To be honest, I don't get as outraged about it, precisely because that sector of U.S. women is otherwise privileged. Still, I'm removing the quotes around *problem* that I used in my previous posting.