[lbo-talk] [DEBATE] : (Fwd) Doug Henwood on elite climate change strategy

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Tue Apr 24 10:14:36 PDT 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> Your solution to this problem seems to be Robin-Hoodism - taking it from the
> rich to give handouts to the poor. I can understand that this trope has a
> certain populist appeal, but it is essentially a fairy tale. First, it is
> politically DOA.

That's exactly the tone of voice and content of pro-corporate access-denialists in the campaign to decommodify and deglobalize anti-retroviral medicines. Thank goodness the AIDS treatment activists ignored such advice and persevered.

> One more thing. You seem to believe that Africa's problems are
> foreign-made, while I believe that they are home-made.
A ridiculous distinction, dear Wojtek. Separately, offlist, I'll email you the key texts of Fanon and Rodney who got the right balance between 'were they pushed' or 'did they jump'.

> ... Sorry, comrade, but I just ain't buying this trope of "them robbing us"
Ok, I think I assembled the up-to-date data to prove it in my 2006 book Looting Africa. It's coming at you.