[lbo-talk] Challenge to Chomskyan Linguistics

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 10:26:00 PDT 2007

Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:

> If anyone wants to read some of the scholarly articles in this debate
> I can email them to you in PDF form. I have Everett's 2005 article
> from "Current Anthropology", and Nevins, Pesetsky, and Rodrigues
> criticism of the article, and Everett's reply to the criticism.
>
> I came across this debate about four years ago when some of the
> research was discussed. ...

Some debates are much older. I recall some Chomsy-ites in the late 70s doing a paper called in the journal Cognition

"On the supposed contributions of artificial intelligence

to the scientific study of language"

They concluded that there weren't any.

There were several rejoinders Terry Winograd replied in the same journal:

"On some contested suppositions of generative linguistics

about the scientific study of language,"

As I see it, he utterly blew them out of the water.

-- Sandy Harris Quanzhou, Fujian, China