[lbo-talk] Patrick Bond on climate change strategy

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Tue Apr 24 11:41:00 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> But what about the rest of the economy? Metals have their uses beyond
> direct job creation.

Sure, but you'd agree - if you *do* think job one is avoiding climate catastrophe - that an enormous amount of waste (especially in aluminum and steel consumption) can be chopped out of a modern economy by rationing these energy-intensive ingredients, no?

(In fact at a meeting tomorrow morning with the Institute for Zero Waste in Africa, we're going over a new major project just landed through the SA National Energy Research Institute, which will move this agenda here quite a bit, I hope.)