[lbo-talk] Wealth Distribution & Kinetic Theor

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 08:37:04 PDT 2007

On 4/25/07, bitch at pulpculture.org <bitch at pulpculture.org> wrote:

> At 01:24 PM 4/24/2007, you wrote:
>
> What I'm not clear on is why you're cycling on station about market
> societies. they're all class societies, right? isn't that the more
> important issue?
>
> in that I agree with wojtek that their failure is that they don't
> _explain_
> what causes this unequal distribution is the problem. that is, they
> observe
> some correlations and patterns and "make news" by saying, "Oh wow, look
> ma!
> no marx, just thermodynamic physics!" but that isn't what is going on and
> they know it. but by claiming that it's "like" a model in thermodynamic
> physics, they are simply restating the same question all researchers on
> the
> topic ask: why is it this way? By using this metaphor, with its bias
> toward
> structural functionalist equilibrium models, it seems to me that they are
> bound to limit the areas where people look for that answer.

_If_ it is true that wealth distribution in some society somehow correlates with the very counter-intuitive model of the Gibbs distribution I think it is interesting and needs to be explained. The explain of the authors is ideological. But listen, we often have interesting "mathematical" observations that are not quite explained. Look how the Fibonnaci numbers appear in plants and other structures. The only explanation is that this is efficient "packing" of pedals, seeds, etc. --- which allows for better collection of water, reception of sunlight and symmetry which attracts bees. But this is simply a functional explanation. We really don't know why the Fibonnaci sequence occurs and reoccurs. But that it does is a non-trivial observation.

In your reply you have touched on the very epistemological observations I was trying to elicit, but you kind of dismiss them by simply saying that functionalist explanations are often non-explanatory. True. But still... if true... why should wealth distribution corellate with the Gibbs distribution in any number of diverse societies? The very question I am asking.

Jerry Monaco

Bitch | Lab