[lbo-talk] Hijacking (was: Patrick Bond on climate change strategy)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 25 08:52:29 PDT 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Let me remind you that this thread started with hijacking the issue of
> climate change for attacks on "northern elites" and kindred demons
> erected
> by populist demagogues in developing countries.

Woj, about 75-80% of the stock of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere already came from you, me, and the rest of us in the handful of rich countries, and we're responsible for the majority of new flows of GHGs as well. (China will surpass the US in the next year or so, but we have more than a century's head start on them.) Therefore the burden of adjustment should be on us - not only because of that record, but because we can take the hit, and we can afford to develop the new technology too. You may not like the vocabulary, but there's nothing demagogic about the issue.

Doug