[lbo-talk] Here she goes again

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Wed Apr 25 11:03:38 PDT 2007

> Tayssir wrote:
>
> I looked at the link, and these writer-worshippers are appalled that:
>
> "English majors can avoid reading Othello in favor of studying:
> 'Critical Race Theory,' which explores why race 'continue[s] to
> have vital significance in politics, economics, education,
> culture, arts, and everyday social realities" including
> 'sexuality, class, disability, multiculturalism, nationality, and
> globalism.'"
>

> The problem isn't that there's no one around to teach Shakespeare --
> merely that students aren't REQUIRED to study it. After all, they
> can't think for themselves. The real stakeholders are:
>
> "Employers -- especially newspapers, publishers, schools, and
> others who hire English majors -- should be deeply concerned. So
> should parents, alumni, trustees, and interested citizens."

This is worse than funny. Who wants to hire an English major to write Elizabethan iambic pentameter? These "employers" are, for the most part, illiterate donkeys. I remember having lunch with one of our best composition teachers, a man who got stuck as the prime faculty representative on the committee to write DePaul's new "strategic plan". He spent a good part of that lunch shaking his head at his naive belief that he might be able to contribute to an elegantly written plan. Instead, the educational bureaucrats and trustees who ran the show produced a set of loosely related bullet points, collated from - I swear I am not making this up - post-it notes. My colleague was reduced to fighting to get them to use complete sentences. Paragraphs are beyond them. That's Lynne Cheney's constitutency. Har-de-fucking har!

Michael McIntyre

PS - You can check out the monstrosity at http:// vision2012.depaul.edu/_downloads/VISIONtwenty12Brochure.pdf