[lbo-talk] Wealth Distribution & Kinetic Theor

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Apr 25 14:19:27 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen

-clip- The abstract or quote from the research quote posted a bit later makes this quite clear. In fact what these guys have to offer is boring and conventional bourgeois economic commonplaces about the rich being richer because they are thriftier, which is false, uninteresting, and has no connection whatsoever to any part of physics.

^^^^^ CB: Well, it is certainly the ultimate in vulgar materialism.

Hey, work ( labor) is a physics term and an economics term (smile). "Power" is a physics term and a political term. (smile)

Is the Gibbs distribution part of thermodynamics ? Leslie A. White made a lot out of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and social evolution.

^^^^^

^^^^^^^

I'm actually open-minded about reductionism as a program for psychological and social research. I wrote a doctoral dissertation and a number of papers defending the possibility before I got bored with the subject. This is the sort of claptrap, however, that gives reductionism a bad name. If there's nothing more useful to be said about physical bases for phenomena like the distribution of wealth than this, best to give it up for a bad job. As far as reductionist programs go, sociobiology is far more promising. (And yes, I think there's something to sociobiology.) Properly framed it is at least coherent, possible, and potentially explanatory. This stuff is just dreck.

-