[lbo-talk] Here she goes again

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Apr 25 20:46:40 PDT 2007

BklynMagus wrote:

>>Bardolatry fascinates me. I don't get it. If someone does,
>>

>I'd be grateful for their explanation.
>
>I have found that Shakespeare's plays are marvelous both to
>act and to direct. The texts are polyvalent and a pleasure
>to work with.
>
>Brian

Absolutely. I got a Ph.D., specializing in Renaissance Lit, but it didn't really sink in how great he was until I decided to turn Midsummer Night's Dream into an one hour play to be performed by 5th graders. Once I dove in, I was amazed to realize how well put together that play is -- especially considering 4 parallel plots woven together seamlessly from start to finish. And that's a relatively early play.

And then there's Lear, Macbeth, Hamlet, Othello, Measure for Measure, Henry IV......worlds upon worlds, to which Freud stands but as a footnote.

Joanna