[lbo-talk] Rethinking Liberalism

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Apr 26 08:19:09 PDT 2007

Marvin Gandall wrote:

> You must think this is important - that the US left is somehow missing an
> historic opportunity to break the masses away from the DP - or else you
> wouldn't be as insistent and vehement about it. I don't know where it is
> you believe you could lead the masses in this period - to the Greens? the
> tiny left groups or Chuck's infoshop? away from electoral politics
> altogether? - but you must have some alternative in mind or you wouldn't be
> so urgently calling on the US labour and social movements to abandon their
> support of the Democrats as the only means they presently have, however
> limited, to advance their demands in the legislative arena. Of course, you
> may not attach much weight to this latter since many of those demands may
> not be as immediate a concern for you as for others.

The U.S. left will go nowhere as long as it is fixated on working with and supporting the Democratic Party. This is so obvious for members of this list that I don't need to spell out the details. The radical left has gained *nothing* from its support of the Democrats.

The Democratic Party and pro-electorialism work is a huge resource drain on progressives and the radical left.

Chuck