[lbo-talk] Hijacking

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 11:05:27 PDT 2007

> Hooted down? I think it's a sound position. At the very least, you
> need a gang of crazies to strike fear into the rulers' hearts, so the
> mere reformists look sweetly reasonable by comparison.
>
> Doug

I would agree, provided you accept that application is very important. When young I lived in Southern California--where living without a car is difficult but not impossible. Being raised with an extreme fear of debt, I was one of the few people I knew with a decent entry level job (that is something that paid significantly better than McDonalds) without a car. I had decided to save for a car rather than buy one on credit as everybody else I knew did.

It happened that my bus stop was in from of a car lot. I was one of the few riders who dressed in suits and ties, carrying a leather briefcase. One day the a salesman, being bored ,shouted out that he would give me a trade in on my shoes if i wanted to buy a car. I shouted out that I would trade him evenly--two shoes for two cars. That ended the conversation, as it was intended to.

For "unreasonable demands" to be effective they have to have some credibility. That is the other side has to have reason to believe that the people making them can also make trouble, that they are not just ineffectual clowns. Part of that is a simple matter of support. But I think it is also a matter of whether the demands themselves seem simply absurd. There is no bargaining power at the moment in a demand that the means of production be turned over to the workers, for example.

Note that this does not mean there are not other reasons to continue to press such demands. You are not going to ever win support to the point such ideas have any bargaining power if they are not there to begin with. When Harry Hayes helped found the modern gay liberation movement it probably would have fit my criteria for demands without bargaining power, but it grew to the point that what Harry advocated in 50's is pretty much the program of the mainstream conservative gay rights movement today. But the kind of "craziness" that has immediate bargaining power differs from the kind that may be the seeds of a future movement.