[lbo-talk] Sandbox Politics & Feeling Good was capital punishment in Iran

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 27 11:45:44 PDT 2007

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

Doug Henwood <dhenwoodWhat
> > annoys me are the repeated assertions coming from some quarters that
> > having an avowedly anti-imperialist government with a populist who
> > mouths ineffectual populist rhetoric makes a society somehow good or
> > admirable.
>
> But you have no problem with people who admire America, such as Noam
> Chomsky, despite what its government does in the world as well as at

What are the possible political consequences of u.s. leftists being grimly determined to be "balanced" on Iraw. I see two and only two:

1. (Best Case). No effect whatsoever: I.e. Sandbox politics. But the leftists who take this position can feel real good about themselves.

2. (Worst Case). Such writing contributes a mite to public opinion and thereby makes a u.s. invasion of Iran more likely. The self-congratulatory leftist need not beel bad even then, however, because he also condemns the u.s.

A win-win situation for the Self-Congratulatory Sandbox Leftist; a lose-lose for the world. Carrol