[lbo-talk] capital punishment in Iran

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 12:54:20 PDT 2007

Yoshie, these apologetics of the inexcusable are twisting you into pretzel shapes.

(1) Doug doesn't have to apologize for America's crimes -- he has spent his whole adult life fighting them, fare more effectively than most people.

(2) In general anger, outrage, and action are more reasonable to expect of anyone by way opposition to a wicked system under which one lives than guilt and shame, which are demobilizing.

(3) Whatever the appropriate emotions are with respect to the crimes of any system, there is a difference between failing to display certain negative emotions and actively endorsing and justifying the wickedness of that system.

(4) With regard Doug or anyone's admiration for Chomsky, surely you jest.

(a) Even if Chomsky had some sort of indefensible blindness to some or all aspects of the wickedness of the US or any system, which is ludicrous since when is that transitive? One is not permitted to admire people with whom one has deep moral disagreements for fear of catching their blindness?

(b) It is one thing to admire, or to defend, a writer who admires something about a system that one despises and another thing to actively defend a wicked system.

(c) I do admit, btw, that the charge that Chomsky is immorally patriotic about the US is rather novel. it is more usual to accuse him of being a Pol Pot apologist or a Holocaust denier than a US national chauvinist.

Leaving Doug and Chomsky and his admirers out of it, Yoshie, I find your apologetics for Iran bizarre. This is a cruel and oppressive theocracy where women are treated like chattel, gays are killed, dissidents hounded, the law is barbaric and archaic when it is enforced, and people --mainly women -- are stoned for adultery or slowly strangled. In Iran, you or I would suffer one of these fates or something similar on a dozen grounds. There is not much to admire about the regime.

An appalling regime may have some positive aspects, and a sensible perspective does not require that one say that a hateful system that is unacceptably awful must be so in every respect. However, it is possible to acknowledge the positive aspects of a vile order without becoming an apologist. I've said, myself, that Stalin's Russia had real achievements. But I don't a good word to say about the gulag, mass murder, systematic torture, political repression, guilt by association, ideological censorship, one party dictatorship, and other essential features of Stalinism.

Necessary changes being made, yes, I say the same about the US, although I don't feel obliged to hedge a condemnation of Stalin's Russia or fundamentalist Iran with a parallel one of the loathesome regime under which we live.