[lbo-talk] Rethinking Liberalism

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Apr 27 12:57:36 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Some will, but after a time, some will get disillusioned with all the
> continuities. Dem administrations are better for radical politics
> than Republican. 1930s, 1960s, late 1990s. Cf. the correlation with
> periods of retreat and Rep admins: 1970s-1980s, 2000s....

I agree that some will become further disillusioned after the Democrats take power. It will be interested to see how soon this disillusionment happens and over what issues. There are also larger numbers of leftists (generally speaking) who will pull the lever for the Democrats but who don't see much hope in that batch of politicians.

We've had this discussion before about Democratic administrations being more favorable for dissent. We'll see what happens. I'm still skeptical that upswings in dissent are that tied to which party controls the government.

And I'm tired of waiting around for the "historical conditions" to improve. I want a revolution now. I'm not getting any younger, a fact that is very looming given that today is my birthday.

Chuck