[lbo-talk] capital punishment in Iran

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 18:38:02 PDT 2007

The "Oh yeah? Well America isn't any better!" defense of other countries' policies is pretty pathetic. If something is wrong, it's wrong. The death penalty in the US is barbaric and I'm guessing a majority on the list would like it gone. But that the US has such a policy doesn't mean Iran gets a blank check. America also allows employers to fire employees under the flimsiest of pretexts, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable for, say, Australia to do so, because of that. It's a non-sequitir.

And now Noam Chomsky is just too damn patriotic? Good grief. Hey, you were the one offering Daniel Guerin's _Anarchism_ as a free gift in a banner ad at MRZine, for a subscription. Noam Chomsky, the American patriot, wrote the intro to that book. Is it still available?

-B.

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> But you have no problem with people who admire
America, such as Noam
> Chomsky, despite what its government does in the
world as well as at
> home, nor do I hear you going on about how guilty,
ashamed,
> embarrassed, etc. you feel living here. You seem to
take America in
> stride, while you can't say the same about Iran.
You have a problem
> of blindness that comes from nationalism, it seems
to me.