[lbo-talk] Richard Gere arrest warrent

Kevin Robert Dean Qualiall at Adelphia.Net
Sat Apr 28 10:02:26 PDT 2007

Arrest Warrant Issued for Richard Gere After Kiss Buddhist actor offended the Indian public at an AIDS awareness event Email Article Print Article Muhammad Jamil Bhatti (jamil) An Indian court has issued a non-bailable arrest warrant for Hollywood star Richard Gere after he kissed Bollywood film star Shilpa Shetty at a public event.

Richard Gere, 57, kissed Shetty numerous times on the cheek at an AIDS awareness event in Delhi earlier this April.

A local lawyer, P.C.Bhandari, filed a complaint in a court at Jaipur in the state of Rajasthan. He said that both entertainers had violated section 294 of the Indian law.

The court declared it "an obscene act," after viewing a video tape of the incident. The court also listened to and questioned an eyewitness presented by the lawyer.

According to this warrant Mr. Richard Gere will not be able to take an interim bail from the court. The Indian film actress has also been summoned to be present in the court on the next date of hearing.

According to the latest updates another application has also been put up in a court in Alwar district. The court has marked it for the Indian police to investigate further.

It is matter of suspense for people. Will this warrant be executed or not? Gere is a Buddhist and comes to India frequently to visit the Dalai Lama. He has been working for HIV/AIDS in India for the last couple of years.

Shetty, 31, got worldwide fame outside India when she won Celebrity Big Brother in the U.K. after receiving racist comments from some of the participants. Television viewers developed a soft spot for her and she won the series.

In India the Gere-Shetty kiss sparked a wave of protests in cities including Delhi and Mumbai. The protesters were of the view that Gere insulted Indian culture and the nation by kissing Shetty's hand and face.

Photographs of the incident appeared on the front pages of Indian newspapers and video clips were played on television channels.

When Shetty was asked by the reporters what she thought of the kiss she defended Gere saying: "What he did was very sweet. It was all in good humor."

"He [Gere] especially told me to tell the media that he didn't want to hurt any Indian sensibilities. He only tried to entertain the people. 'Shall We Dance' was one of Richard's films and he struck this pose in the movie." She added.

When asked whether the kiss was preplanned, she said: "I was unaware he was going to do it, so I was taken aback. I am happy that this has happened because at least now people will talk about the issue of AIDS and HIV."

Before writing about the issue I telephoned my friend Ashish Sharma in Delhi India and asked his views about the matter. He replied with some harsh words for both personalities and said that both film stars have been losing value in the film industry so they have been trying to get some media coverage.

He said that it is in Shetty's nature to play such tricks to get cheap fame.

Of Gere, my friend said: "He must be banned to enter the country and if he comes he must be put into the jail."

According to Indian law, a person, who is convicted of public obscenity will be punished by three months in prison, a fine or both.

Now there is also a question mark over the future of Richard Gere's campaign for AIDS in India.

Is this the most controversial kiss in modern subcontinental history?