[lbo-talk] was Weath Distribution and hot air something

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 15:45:45 PDT 2007

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk:

If you mean instincts, then yes, but if you mean concepts and reason, then no. And after all, who gives a monkey's toss about instincts. The mental structures worth thinking about were created in reaction to human conditions, not evolutionary ones.

--

Umm, animals do have concepts and reason. I think Jerry (OMG, I'm coming to the defense of an anti-Heideggerian, will wonders never cease?!?) is referring to the neurological basis for human thought and the structure of the brain, which is not a lot different from that of the gibbon.

How do you know this anyway?:

"mental structures worth thinking about were created in reaction to human conditions, not evolutionary ones."

Worth thinking about how exactly? Fear (a prehuman experience) is not worth thinking about? Lust? Anger? Pleasure? Aggression? Understanding of before and after in the flow of time? Understanding of spatial relationships? Familial affections? All rather important human mental features which just happen to be shared by nonhumans.

And "instinct" is a technical term, you know.

I think you really have a bug up your ass about nature for some reason. :)