[lbo-talk] children losing sleep over cliamte change

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Apr 29 04:57:09 PDT 2007

I wrote recently about some of my experiences with Cockburn:

"I was young. Mid-20s. Politically naive. I actually believed that the guy who wrote 'Beat The Devil' would be as exciting and engaging as he was in print. But when I first met Cockburn at The Nation's offices in Manhattan, he was extremely condescending, snide, sarcastic. I left myself wide open for his hostility, smiling and turning cheek after cheek. After all, he was The Man, while I was no one, still learning about politics from the ground up. I think my enthusiasm for his work stirred in him contempt; and once he saw that I would take anything he dished out, he made cracks about my youth, my gullibility, my obvious hero worship. In retrospect, I probably had it coming, as I tended back then to gush over those who inspired me. But I also realize that Cockburn was in full control of the situation, and could've shown a bit more patience and mercy to a kid wet behind the ears. That he chose instead to make me feel like a fool suggested that perhaps Cockburn wasn't that generous a person. He seemed to get a kick out of knocking me around. But I didn't care. I thought he was the best."

Full at:

<http://redstateson.blogspot.com/2007/04/losing-influence.html>

Dennis