[lbo-talk] was Weath Distribution and hot air something

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Apr 29 13:49:23 PDT 2007

James Heartfield wrote:
> Miles
>
> "How can this be? If evolution "ceases" when a species shapes its
> environment, then evolution has stopped for beavers, birds, wild cats,
> spiders, ants, etc."
>
> No, they don't shape their environment, because they don't create a mental
> picture of how they want to change it before they do. Once people introduced
> reason into their relationship with nature, they introduced a principle of
> change that was much more rapid than the leisurely pace of natural
> selection. So, for example, over around a hundred years, people put
> something like twenty years onto their life expectancy. That could not have
> happened through natural selection. It could only happen through the impact
> of human industry onto human development.

I don't understand your reasoning. The existence of sociocultural innovation and the changes in human life that provokes occur alongside and interact with evolutionary forces. There are many, many aspects of human life that have little or nothing to do with evolution; even evolutionary theorists like Gould emphasize that. However, the existence of these social forces does not somehow render null and void the ongoing impact of evolution in shaping human characteristics. It will continue to be true that genetic characteristics that increase reproductive success in a given environment will become more common in the human gene pool, and genetic characteristics that decrease reproductive success will become less common. Social innovations can contribute to the environment that makes certain traits adaptive, but social innovation cannot nullify evolutionary processes.

--One more thing; your comment about life expectancy makes me a bit suspicious about your understanding of the basic principles of evolution. The basis of natural selection is reproductive success, not length of life per se (tacking on 20 years of life post-reproductive age would not easily happen via evolutionary processes). Thus the example of life expectancy is not demonstrating that an effect once determined by evolution is now due to social forces; rather, it is showing that sociocultural forces work alongside and interact with natural selection.

If all you're trying to emphasize is that there are many nonevolutionary, sociocultural forces that shape human life, I'm right there with you. However, it requires a willful misunderstanding of evolution to assert that we've somehow transcended evolutionary processes.

Miles