[lbo-talk] Bay Area interchange collapse

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 30 12:47:05 PDT 2007

Those of you in the Bay Area, how's traffic today?

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-tanker30apr30,1,7032289,full.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-tanker30apr30,1,7032289,full.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

From the Los Angeles Times

Bay Area interchange collapse likely to cause weeks of chaos

By Tim Reiterman and Stuart Silverstein Times Staff Writers

April 30, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO ­ A gasoline tanker truck crashed and exploded into a tower of flames early Sunday, causing a 170-foot stretch of a major Bay Area freeway interchange to warp and collapse on the freeway below, authorities said.

The accident forced the closure of two damaged sections of the heavily traveled maze east of the Bay Bridge, which carries 270,000 vehicles to and from San Francisco each day. Repairs are expected to disrupt traffic for weeks and, some say, months.

"It won't be a matter of days," said California Department of Transportation spokesman Bob Haus. "It will be significant."

[.....]