[lbo-talk] Anarchism, was Cuba

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 02:26:40 PDT 2007

Chuck:

"Anarchism is also a tool-kit, which we use to dissect, analyze, mock, pull aprt, construct, praise, scorn and much more."

My problem with this would be what Engels called 'political indifferentism', or Hegel, 'the beautiful soul'. Anarchists in my experience are too quick to absent themselves from the political struggle that is before them, because it does not conform to an abstract ideal of the just.

Cuba would be a case in point. Here is a conflict between the US and Cuban governments. Should one stand aside and take no position because both are governments? Such a position would only reinforce the authority of both governments, because the anarchist has abstained from a struggle that means a lot to the Cuban people.

There are political positions that do not abstain 1.) Support Castro 2.) Support America 3.) Overthrow Castro to save Cuba etc, etc. I can imagine a case for any one of these, but to take no view at all on the conflict seems pointless to me. Your beautiful soul has kept itself spotless, but the mundane world remains drenched in blood.