[lbo-talk] Anarchism, was Cuba

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 1 13:54:33 PDT 2007

Chuck wrote:
> With the situation being so bad, I'd like to see plenty of reforms
> including universal health care. This would make a real difference in
> people's lives.
>
> But like most anarchists, I reject arguments that I should abandon my
> anarchist principles and become a social democratic reformer.
>
> Here is where voting is again a counter-productive tactic, while
> traditional anarchist tactics such as protest and direct action make
> more sense for anarchists. If anarchists go out and engage in direct
> action on the health care issue, we're more likely to help more
> mainstream reformers than we would with voting?
>
> Sound far-fetched?

So let me get this straight. Anarchists could push through Universal Health Care just as easily under Bush as they could under Gore. Who your Senator or Congressperson are will have less effect than anarchists "direct action on the health care issue". Voting for representatives who favor Universal Health Care is actually counter-productive to implementing Universal Health Care. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a zombie wedded to left-liberal Castro-loving ideas that belong in the ash can of history. The moon is made of Stilton.

John Thornton