[lbo-talk] Anarchism, was Cuba

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 21:11:11 PDT 2007

Chuck wrote:

>Do the research. The facts will show that anarchist direct action
>brought you LPFM.

I've kept up with this some and I didn't start just today. My first real job was in a small radio station where I played records, read news, and took out the trash. I'm a big radio fan.

What I know of the facts you refer to is there were two people in Florida, one a biker and electronics nut and the other a right-wing fringe guy who both got busted big by the feds. The biker supplied a lot of equipment and aid and comfort to other people interested. There was also a station in Texas started with equipment donated by a Butthole Surfer. I think I heard that station one night outside Austin. It's hard to tell because Austin has such great regular radio. There was a guy in Berkeley, maybe he was an anarchist. And then there were tons of people setting up stations and reading local community calendar events and high school sports results.

In sum, there was a wild and mixed crew of people, including religious types, both fundamentalist and square, who were interested in pushing low power through. Another player you left out was local government agencies who wanted to use it to broadcast traffic and weather advisories.

One other thing, what anarchist group that brought me LPFM manufactured the equipment?

>Depending on where you live, more evidence can be found by turning on
>the radio.
>
>;-)

Not in Los Angeles, or in almost any other major population area. A map showing availability, not of existing stations but of places where you can apply, is at the link below. It looks like one of those maps of the earth at night:

http://blog.recnet.com/?postid=184