[lbo-talk] Megabus.com: competition for Greyhound

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 2 09:19:21 PDT 2007

Jordan quoted:

>A bus departing Los Angeles at 7 a.m. stops in San Jose before
>reaching San Francisco at 2 p.m.

That's very good time. I could see taking this. Last month I took an Amtrak train from Los Angeles to Oakland. It runs along the coast for much of the route and I'd always wanted to take it. But it was purely for pleasure. It runs between Los Angeles and Seattle and the further you are from the starting point the further behind schedule it falls. But, like I said, it's set up for pleasure and we spent a good part of the trip in the observation car.

Flying from Los Angeles to San Francisco is something I avoid. You spend more time getting to and from each airport and checking in and boarding than you do on the plane. And the flight is so short my ears get weird because you go up and down so quickly.

But I could see riding a bus and reading or sleeping most of the way. I just hope they don't have tvs like these buses I just rode in Mexico. I took a couple of long bus rides and they showed movies on monitors you couldn't avoid and the sound was not optional.

Last time I took a Greyhound I had a cold and thank the deep void for that. Without the Nyquil I don't know if I would have made it.