[lbo-talk] Karl Kautsky on Christianity

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 2 14:10:28 PDT 2007

The evidence for the historical existence of Jesus of Nazareth is about as good as that for Julius Caesar or Cicero -- although it's certainly true that, were it not for the existence of a movement that kept his memory alive, he probably would have been forgotten: Jesus' life and death did not have the historical significance of Caesar's -- or of, say, Patrice Lumumba's -- as any Christian would admit (at least on reflection).

Of course there's always the view of the 19th century German scholar who held that all of classical antiquity was a myth, a story made up by monks in the 8th and 9th centuries CE. His evidence was that all our documents from the first centuries are written in Carolingian minuscule -- copies, it was claimed, but originals, according to him... --CGE