[lbo-talk] Karl Kautsky on Christianity

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 19:49:19 PDT 2007

I think we're saying the same thing, Michael, but you are saying it more sweepingly, and leaving less of the core when all the layers are peeled off (and I hear you: there are no coherent "layers" -- just a jumble of new and old.) However, if there was only a crazy Hasid who came in from the country and was killed, the later writers certainly created an effective fictional character around him. The angry, driven, fearless/vulnerable, compassionate, riddling mystic they created is a lot more interesting to me than the sententious heroes of Greek tragedy.