[lbo-talk] Karl Kautsky on Christianity

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 20:48:38 PDT 2007

Michael said: "To me personally the history of the texts is at least as interesting as the bare-bones historical original. Not that the latter is dull -- but look what was *made* of him! A fascinating, inexhaustibly fascinating story."

You probably know the English novelist AN Wilson's book on Jesus. He deals easily with the textual issues, scraping away accretions to find the plausible figure of an original character. In the scene where Jesus kneels down and draws a circle in the sand (for no obvious reason) he comments that here he feels in the presence of an original witness. Convinced me!

BobW