[lbo-talk] China Should Speed Up the Yuan's Rise

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Aug 3 08:16:00 PDT 2007

Far Eastern Economic Review http://www.feer.com/

The July/Aug 2007 Issue

China Should Speed Up the Yuan's Rise http://www.feer.com/articles1/2007/0707/free/p014.html

July/August 2007

by Jonathan Anderson

In this article I will contend two points. First, many of the common arguments for and against the revaluation of the yuan are misguided. And second, at the end of the day China would clearly be better off with a stronger currency-for its own sake, and not just as a means of preventing global pressure-and would do well to move faster than the present pace. I'll get to the "real" case for revaluation shortly. But first, we need to address the most common myths about the Chinese exchange rate. http://www.feer.com/articles1/2007/0707/free/p014.html

Mr. Anderson is chief Asian economist at UBS.

© 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Far Eastern Economic Review is a trademark of Dow Jones & Company, Inc. Privacy Policy