[lbo-talk] cruise "blog"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 3 08:37:37 PDT 2007

>From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>
>
>[WS:] Hey, Doug, I like your line about God and dollar being intimate
>friends since the Puritans set their foot on this side of the pond, but
>then
>you strike a decidedly puritanical tone yourself when you talk about
>"exploited" Indonesian workers on the ship. Emigrant laborers are the
>lucky
>ones, not the exploited ones - they leave voluntarily and quite eagerly to
>earn better wages than they would have at home.

I must say, Dr. S., no one can channel Ebenezer Scrooge with quite the gusto that you do. I mean, Doug was talking about an Indonesian crew member who hadn't seen his nearly one-year-old son since the kid was three days old -- if that's not exploitation I don't know what is. And true, cruise cabin stewards, etc., earn better money than they would at home, but by first-world standards they earn absolute peanuts.

And here's one of the most uncomfortable realities of cruise ships: tipping. No business puts consumers on the pointy-end of exploitation like cruise ships do. Typically it's made clear that crew members depend on tips for a substantial part of their total income. But the ship operators and travel industry as a whole tend to be very vague about providing tipping guidelines -- leaving the passenger to steep in an ever-deepening sense of guilt toward the end of the cruise, when tips are doled out and crew members you've barely seen before suddenly become omnipresent and ultra-friendly. Cruising can be a very stressful way of relaxing.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Messenger Café — open for fun 24/7. Hot games, cool activities served daily. Visit now. http://cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_AugHMtagline