[lbo-talk] Karl Kautsky on Christianity

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Sun Aug 5 05:53:33 PDT 2007

Thanks to Shane for this posting (his knowledge of classical antiquity is one of the pleasures of the list).

Yes, in this context I did mean "very early" church (and had meant to follow Ste Croix in saying so). The immediate issue was whether Kautsky's point (via Joanna) was correct: that the asceticism of Christianity was a reaction to the "extreme overindulgence" of the (core) Roman culture. I think Shane will agree that this asceticism finds its roots in the rural culture of Palestine (viz de Ste Croix, Class Struggle in the Ancient World) like the other contemporaneous religious movements...and was later continued in Egypt, Asia Minor and North Africa (which may be the part Shane was pointing out). But in those places too Christianity was largely in social strata outside the "core" of Roman culture (sometimes initially involving the Jewish diaspora in these locations) and for local reasons similar to what happened in Palestine. At this time, Christianity was not necessarily a movement of "the poor", but it certainly found its base among the disaffected and politically despondent.

The point here is that the extremist religious philosophy of early (very early?) Christianity was a reaction to tangible Imperial oppression, along with the perceived "sell out" by local elites, and the apparent failure of political action to achieve anything. This is a very different process than an aesthetic reaction to "overindulgence".

Of course I am spending LBO's time on this partly because there is an obvious analogy to the Middle East and South Asia of today (not to overdo analogies).

[Shane may have thought I was alluding to a different debate -- just how "Jewish" was early Christianity. I was not going there and don't know the debate very much. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I agree with Shane that the second wave of pre-Constantine Christianity was largely outside Palestine although I gather there is much debate and interpretation about the early interactions with Palestine and with Jewish diaspora communities.]

Paul