[lbo-talk] AllHipHop.com interviews Bad Brains about being seminal black punk band in mostly-white scene

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 16:38:03 PDT 2007

Robert,

Yeah, you're right; I got the Black Flag & Minor Threat songs mixed up. Ian MacKaye in _American Hardcore_ says it's "so clear" that "White Minority" was meant as an ANTI-Racist song, but I dunno dude.... Obviously, now he's 100% bona fide liberal/lefty, of course. (Just YouTube his new band The Evens, whose "acoustic post-post-hardcore put me to a snooze, but whose performances are sprinkled with a lot of liberal/left political rhetoric).

Yeah, Bad Brains actually BEGAN as a jazz funk fusion band but switched to punk when they heard the Sex Pistols, Ramones, etc. That earliest stuff was never recorded that I'm aware of. _Dance of Days_ has been on my to-read list for ages; thanks for reminding me of it!

-B.

wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

"Actually, Black Flag's contribution was 'White Minority'. 'Guilty of Being White' was Minor Threat's contribution. Ian (MacKaye)says that the song wasn't intended as a global commentary, but came out of his experiences in Wilson High School. Take that for what you will."