[lbo-talk] AllHipHop.com interviews Bad Brains about

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 11:44:31 PDT 2007

Jim Straub wrote:

"Tim Yohannon really doesn't get enough posthumous praise."

I totally agree. I've joked that it seems it's not so much punk nowadays to actually make punk music, but to write about it or make a documentary about it -- but Tim Yo was one of the few people I can think of that was never in a punk band who nonetheless had about as much influence on what punk culturally became as anyone in any band I can think of.

I saw Fugazi in 1999 at San Francisco's Maritime Hall, and though Tim Yo had declared Fugazi no longer punk enough to be covered by MRR about 5 years earlier, Fugazi dedicated the song "Long Division" to his memory. He had died the previous year.

Incidentally, opening for Fugazi, the great anarcho-post-punk band The Ex, another post-punk band from the late 70s that is still plugging along but largely ignored. I always thought of them as sort of like mainland Europe's answer to Gang of Four by way of Crass.

-B.