[lbo-talk] AllHipHop.com interviews Bad Brains about

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 6 15:09:19 PDT 2007

On Aug 6, 2007, at 5:28 PM, B. wrote:

> Even better is the term, also in the culture,
> "proto-post-punk." Silver Apples, Brian Eno, Can, all
> that.

Yeah, and before that the VU. That's how I came to punk - in the early/mid-70s, amidst all the pap there was Eno-era Roxy Music, then Eno solo, etc. And the NY Dolls. Did they sound great in 1973. Something like the Gang of Four, which is post-punk I guess, sounded pretty punk when they first hit the scene. Art school punk, maybe, but the slash and thrash mixed with social critique fit my bill.

Doug