[lbo-talk] Nader, et al

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 7 08:04:32 PDT 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> but what do we make of the difference between dem behavior in the
> senate and
> dem behavior in the house?

The Senate is a structurally reactionary body, by design.

> i have to admit, what i'm really hearing in this discussion is that
> it's
> worth abandoning any third party and going partisan dem hardcore.
> which
> would really disappoint me -- and would be entirely too satisfying
> to a
> couple of my friends. :)

No, I'm not for that at all, though I do think that 3rd party runs for president are vain in every sense. You've got to start low and build up. But the "not a dime's worth of difference" rhetoric isn't accurate, and isn't credible to a huge number of people. There is a dime's worth of difference, though maybe not a half dollar's.

Doug