[lbo-talk] Alex Balk on the bloggers' organizing committee

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 7 08:21:16 PDT 2007

<http://gawker.com/news/idiots/join-the-bloggers-union-286408.php>

idiots Join The Blogger's Union!

What kind of good ideas are coming out of the Yearly Kos convention? Here's one!

In a move that might make some people scratch their heads, a loosely formed coalition of left-leaning bloggers are trying to band together to form a labor union they hope will help them receive health insurance, conduct collective bargaining or even set professional standards.

We are about as pro-union as possible (particularly in this day and age) and even we find this to be a remarkably stupid idea. The article goes on to note that, "In a world as diverse, vocal and unwieldy as the blogosphere, there's no consensus about what type of organization is needed and who should be included. Some argue for a free-standing association for activist bloggers while others suggest a guild open to any blogger -- from knitting fans to video gamers -- that could be created within established labor groups." Um, exactly. Let's go back to the well one more time: "'I sure would like to have that union bug on my Web site,'" said [Kristen] Burgard, a blogger who uses the moniker Bendy Girl." Go for it, Kristen! We can't wait to see people picketing themselves for the right to take a five minute bathroom break away from making various Photoshop images of Mitt Romney and Fred Thompson "hazing cheezburgers."

Jesus Christ. LABOR UNIONS ARE TACTICAL ARRANGEMENTS TO DEAL WITH MANAGEMENT, YOU UNEMPLOYED SADSACKS.