[lbo-talk] another piece on agriculture

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Aug 7 10:08:58 PDT 2007

John Thorton

>So how much is a loaf of this bread?
>How many hours does a typical working class person have to work to buy a
>weeks worth of bread? Or is this bread for the upper crust?
>Isn't this more about niche marketing than anything else or am I being
>overly cynical?

Now, on the question of bread, I've done my homework. A loaf of bread at Safeway is $2.50 - 3.00. A loaf of bread at any bakery in the Bay area is $2.50 - 3.00. The only difference is that a loaf of bread from Safeway will last at least a month, and a loaf of bakery bread will last about a week. Oh, oops, I forgot about taste. Guess which one tastes better? Oh, yeah, and the chemicals...guess which one has more chemicals?

Joanna