[lbo-talk] Nader, et al

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Aug 7 10:12:31 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> By the way, I was reminded on The Nation cruise that it's easy for us
> to minimize the diff between the parties, but a lot of people in the
> USA don't have that luxury. Quite a few of the cruisers came because
> they wanted to spend some time with people who think like they do.
> Back home, they may be one or two of ten Democrats (and forget
> anything to the left of the Dems). And - forgive me for using the
> color cliches - step out of any blue zone and you're quickly immersed
> in red. Drive 35 miles west of Ann Arbor and you're at Ted Nugent's
> ranch. Drive a few hours east of Seattle or Portland and you're in
> far right territory. Drive 50 miles north of Cambridge and you're on
> the doorstep of the Manchester Union-Leader. Etc.

There is no difference between the two parties. What a bunch of rich liberals on a Nation cruise think isn't going to change a fact that is obvious to most Americans.

Just this last week we were treated to two good examples of why there is no difference. The two major Democratic candidates, the future President Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama, are trying to outdo each other by demonstrating that they are members of the card-carrying Cruise Missile Left (tm). Then the Democrats paid their supporters with another betrayal, by helping Bush & Co. ram through a further codification of their international surveillance state.

What was the difference again?

Where is that universal health care that the Clinton's promised in 1992?

How bad does this Iraq War have to get, now that it's been going on for 16 years, under Democratic and Republican administrations, for the Democrats to get the spine to demand a pull out?

Chuck