[lbo-talk] Nader, et al

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 16:26:25 PDT 2007

Julio wrote:

>Effective, lasting, sustainable social change can only result from
>large masses of people in motion with a political compass. That's
>why, regardless of our desires, the most likely way for a radical
>alternative to emerge in the U.S. is through a long series of
>struggles *within* the DP.

I was in Mexico City a couple weeks ago and saw a group called 400 Pueblos that has been encamped in the center of the city for three or four months now. They are protesting having been thrown off land in Veracruz and their action is specifically aimed at the former governor of Veracruz, who is now a member of the senate. One sign they carried called the senate a refuge for corrupt governors and another said they were looking for justice from the courts because the legislators were ignoring them.

I thought of what lbosters might think of this strategy of appealing to the courts and I specifically wondered what Julio would have to say. I think he gave the basic answer here.

By the way, the people in 400 Pueblos march nude or semi-nude, many of them wearing enlarged photos of the former governor to cover their loins:

http://www.treklens.com/gallery/North_America/Mexico/photo276518.htm

http://images.google.com/images?q=400+pueblos+veracruz&hl=en&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi