[lbo-talk] Nader, et al

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Aug 7 20:55:56 PDT 2007

On 7 Aug, 2007, at 11:56 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Aug 7, 2007, at 11:10 AM, ravi wrote:

>>> Every time it's raised in nominal dollars, it's raised in real
>>> dollars.
>>

>> I don't understand your response. Carrol's emphasis is on the word
>> "raise" not on "real" i.e., it's a raise in the sense that it is
>> higher than it was before
>
> When it's raised, it's higher than it was before.

Indeed. As I write in the quoted text. However...

> When it's raised in
> nominal dollars, it's higher than it was before in real dollars. If
> you mean/he meant to a level higher in real terms than it was right
> after the previous increase, then you/he should say that.

I can't say that because I am afraid I do not understand that (either)! What I mean to say is what I wrote: the emphasis, as per Carrol, is on "raise". The way I read that, including in the context of "real dollars" is as I described in my previous post. Perhaps we are just quibbling...

--ravi